Back - Volume 1 (2017)
SETSCI - Volume 1 (2017) ISMSIT2017 - International Symposium on Multidisciplinary Studies and Innovative Technologies, Tokat, Turkey, Dec 02, 2017 Investigating The Corrosion Behavior of Electrodeposited Nickel-Nano Diamond Composite Coating On Porous Materials by The Cyclic Voltammetry Method (ISMSIT2017_12)
Tutku Saatcı 1 *, Elmas Salamci 2, Rahmi Ünal 3, Neli Gidikova 4, Radoslav Valov 5, Vladimir Petkov 6 1Gazi University, Ankara, Turkey 2Gazi University, Ankara, Turkey 3Gazi University, Ankara, Turkey 4Bulgarian Academy of Sciences, Sofia, Bulgaria 5Bulgarian Academy of Sciences, Sofia, Bulgaria 6Bulgarian Academy of Sciences, Sofia, Bulgaria * Corresponding author: firstname.lastname@example.org Published Date: 2017-12-08 | Page (s): 49-54 | 116 0
In this work, Intralube E with 0.38 % C press-ready mix powders were pressed with 550 MPa pressure and sintered 25 min at 1120 °C. Samples were coated electrochemically with nano diamond (ND) reinforced nickel to study the effect of nano composite coating on corrosion behavior by cyclic voltammetry method. The corrosion properties of uncoated, nickel-plated and samples coated with ND reinforcement at seven (0, 1, 1.5, 2.5, 5, 7.5, 10, 20 g/l) different concentrations were investigated. Corrosion resistance of these samples improved with the coating and with increasing ND content. The pitting formation decreased with the presence of ND. Breakdown potential increased from -210 mV to 30 mV, protection potential increased from -430 mV to 10 mV, passivation range increased from 0.97 mV to 1.25 mV, the current peaks on the anodic branches decreased from 53.89 mA to 0.42 mA, and lastly the difference between Eb and Ep decreased from 220 mV to 20 mV from uncoated to 20 g/l nano-diamond reinforced nickel coating. The less the difference, the less the susceptibility to corrosion. Decreasing current means increased corrosion resistance and improved passivation increases the corrosion resistance. Finally, Cl- ions were observed on the corroded surfaces with the EDS and SEM analyses.
nano composite, electrochemical coating, cyclic voltammetry, corrosion resistance, EDS (energy dispersive X-ray spectroscopy), SEM (scanning electron microscope)
1. M. Etaat, M. Emamy, M. Ghambari, and E. Fadaei. "Surface treatment and nickel plating of iron powder metallurgy parts for corrosion protection," Materials & Design, 30(9), 3560-3565, (2009).
2. P. Leisner, R. Leu, and P. Møller. "Electroplating of porous PM compacts," Powder metallurgy, 40(3), 207-210, (1997).
3. D. Gabe. "Corrosion and protection of sintered metal parts," Powder Metallurgy, 20(4), 227-231, (1977).
4. S. Rossi, L. Fedrizzi, and F. Deflorian. "Characterization of commercial metallic coatings for corrosion protection of P/M parts," International journal of powder metallurgy, 40(4), 33-40, (2004).
5. R. Dube and D. Singh. "Effect of substrate porosity on the corrosion behaviour of electro less nickel-phosphorus coated powder metallurgy iron compacts and strip," British Corrosion Journal, 31(1), 61-64, (1996).
6. T. Bell. "Surface treatment and coating of PM components," Powder metallurgy, 34(4), 253-258, (1991).
7. D. Singh and R. Dube. "Electroless nickel coating of sintered iron compacts," Powder metallurgy, 38(1), 52-54, (1995).
8. L. Fedrizzi, F. Deflorian, and S. Rossi. "Corrosion protection of sintered metal parts by coating deposition. Part I: Microstructural characterization," Materials and Corrosion, 45(4), 222-231, (1994).
9. L. Fedrizzi, F. Deflorian, and S. Rossi. "Corrosion protection of sintered metal parts by coating deposition. Part II: Corrosion and electrochemical characterization," Materials and Corrosion, 45(5), 264-271, (1994).
10. S. Rossi, L. Fedrizzi, and F. Deflorian. "Corrosion protection of P," International journal of powder metallurgy, 38(3), 61-69, (2002).
11. M. Lekka, N. Kouloumbi, M. Gajo, and P. L. Bonora. "Corrosion and wear resistant electrodeposited composite coatings," Electrochimica Acta, 50(23), 4551-4556, (2005).
12. D. Li, F. Chen, Z.-H. Xie, S. Shan, and C.-J. Zhong. "Enhancing structure integrity and corrosion resistance of Mg alloy by a twostep deposition to avoid F ions etching to nano-SiO 2 reinforcement," Journal of Alloys and Compounds, 705(70-78, (2017).
13. S. Awasthi, S. Goel, C. P. Pandey, and K. Balani. "Multi-length scale tribology of electrophoretically deposited nickel-diamond coatings," JOM, 69(2), 227-235, (2017).
14. K.-H. Hou, H.-H. Sheu, and M.-D. Ger. "Preparation and wear resistance of electrodeposited Ni–W/diamond composite coatings," Applied Surface Science, 308(372-379, (2014).
15. J. Sui, W. Cai, L. Liu, and L. Zhao. "Surface characteristics and electrochemical corrosion behavior of NiTi coated with diamondlike carbon," Materials Science and Engineering: A, 438(639-642, (2006).
16. A. A. Aal. "Hard and corrosion resistant nanocomposite coating for Al alloy," Materials Science and Engineering: A, 474(1), 181- 187, (2008).
17. M. Petrova, Z. Noncheva, and E. Dobreva. "Electroless deposition of diamond powder dispersed nickel–phosphorus coatings on steel substrate,"
Transactions of the IMF, 89(2), 89-94, (2011).
18. M. Vaezi, S. Sadrnezhaad, and L. Nikzad. "Electrodeposition of Ni–SiC nano-composite coatings and evaluation of wear and corrosion resistance and electroplating characteristics," Colloids and Surfaces A: Physicochemical and Engineering Aspects, 315(1), 176-182, (2008).
19. H. Mazaheri and S. R. Allahkaram. "Deposition, characterization and electrochemical evaluation of Ni–P–nano diamond composite coatings," Applied Surface Science, 258(10), 4574-4580, (2012).
20. Y. Mazaheri, A. Kermanpur, and A. Najafizadeh. "Microstructures, Mechanical Properties, and Strain Hardening Behavior of an Ultrahigh Strength Dual Phase Steel Developed by Intercritical Annealing of Cold-Rolled Ferrite/Martensite," Metallurgical and Materials Transactions A, 46(7), 3052-3062, (2015).
21. S. Shetty and A. C. Hegde. A Study on Composition Dependent Electrocatalytic Behaviour of Electrodeposited Ni-Mo Alloy. in Nano Hybrids and Composites. 2017. Trans Tech Publ.
22. J. Dong, J. Wu, J. Jia, L. Fan, and J. Lin. "Nickel selenide/reduced graphene oxide nanocomposite as counter electrode for high efficient dye-sensitized solar cells," Journal of Colloid and Interface Science, 498(217-222, (2017).
23. H. Nady and M. Negem. "Microstructure and Corrosion Behavior of Electrodeposited NiCo, NiZn and NiCu Nanocrystalline Coatings in Alkaline Solution," Zeitschrift für Physikalische Chemie, 231(6), 1159-1178, (2017).
24. G. B. Darband, M. Aliofkhazraei, and A. S. Rouhaghdam. "Nickel nanocones as efficient and stable catalyst for electrochemical hydrogen evolution reaction," International Journal of Hydrogen Energy, 42(21), 14560-14565, (2017).
25. S. Shibli, G. Harikrishnan, V. Anupama, K. Chinchu, and B. Meena. "Development of nano NiO incorporated nickel– phosphorus coatings for electrocatalytic applications," Surface and Coatings Technology, 262(48-55, (2015).
26. M. Abou-Krisha, F. Assaf, O. Alduaij, A. G. Alshammari, and F. El-Sheref. "Electrochemical behavior and corrosion resistance of electrodeposited nano-particles Zn-Co-Fe alloy," Anti-Corrosion Methods and Materials, 63(1), 29-35, (2016).